NEPCon has been contracted by the European Commission (EC) to carry out a study titled “Study on Certification and Verification Schemes in the Forest Sector and for Wood-based Products”.
The Study was awarded to NEPCon in March 2020 and is scheduled to run for 12 months.
Specific objectives of the Study are:
- Create an overview of certification and verification schemes and certificates being used in the area of forest and wood-based products
- Develop and apply a framework for the evaluation of such certification and third part verification schemes including their respective strengths and weaknesses, in relation to the EUTR
- Evaluate the applicability of the framework to other products originating from converted land
- Identify options for further work at the EU level/for the Commission
The main output for this project will be a report that will include an overview of certification and verification schemes and certificates being used in the area of forest and wood-based products and an assessment on their respective strengths and weaknesses, in particular in relation to the EUTR.
Any queries related to the EC strategy with the work should be directed to ENV-TIMBER-REG@ec.europa.eu.
We organised an introductory webinar on this study on 18 June 2020 (11.00 am CEST). Please click here to access the record of this webinar.
Please sign up here to join the Stakeholder Consultative List and receive information, surveys, and updates about the Study.
The links to the surveys to receive feedback along the Study are posted below:
- Initial survey (18 June - 2 July 2020)
Should you have any questions about the project, the consultation process or any feedback in general please contact us by filing in the form below.