NEPCon’s activities and services in Indonesia are growing significantly. We are therefore seeking an experienced and enthusiastic professional to support the provision of our LegalSource and ResponsibleSource services in Indonesia. The role will include providing advisory services to a global portfolio of clients in the timber sector and beyond.
As part of NEPCon’s Indonesia office, you will have the opportunity to grow and learn as part of a new team. Yet you will be provided with the knowledge and support of a much larger NEPCon family of 240+ colleagues around the world.
NEPCon Solutions provides a range of innovative services to support clients to meet legality and sustainability criteria for timber, palm oil, textiles, soy, beef and other natural resources. This involves, inter alia, development of procedures and policies, risk assessments, on-site factory/mill and forest/farm auditing, capacity building and laboratory testing. The role will include providing services to a global portfolio of clients in the natural resource sector, as well as domestic customers.
The ResponsibleSource Specialist will provide NEPCon Solutions services to commercial clients to support them in their goals to meet:
- Established sustainability standards (including FSC, RA SAS, SBP, RSPO, POIG, CanopyStyle, etc), and;
- Bespoke sustainability requirements (for instance, an organisation’s own Sustainability Policy);
- Legal requirements (such as the EU Timber Regulation, Lacey Act or the Australian Illegal Logging Prohibition Act (ILPA) and other applicable national timber regulation) for sourcing natural resources.
This position includes working under the following innovative work areas:
NOTE: Work areas marked with an (*) are primary work areas for this position. Whilst unmarked sections are secondary work areas, for which this position may be requested to become trained in and provide service delivery for in the future.
Timber*: Working closely with NEPCon clients and suppliers around the world to provide auditing, risk assessment, due diligence, gap analysis and other mitigation activities on forest management aimed at meeting the sustainability requirement and /or the requirement of the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR), Lacey Act or the Australian Illegal Logging Prohibition Act (ILPA) and other applicable national timber regulation. Clients may include producers at source who wish assessment of operation against company policies or gap analysis against certification or other international standards (e.g. FSC, LegalSource, SBP). The role will also involve working with companies to implement solutions to problems, through training, systems and procedures review, and providing technical interpretations and advice.
Non-timber Forest Products (NTFPs)*: Working closely with NEPCon clients around the world to provide supply chain assessment activities, including supply chain risk assessment, supplier verification to company policies or third-party standards, training or other services. Clients may include producers at source who wish assessment of operation against company policies or gap analysis against certification or other international standards (e.g. FSC, RSPO, RA SAS, SBP) The main focus of the role will be to support the NEPCon Solutions team to carry out defined supply chain and auditing verification services. The role will also involve working with companies to implement solutions to problems, through training, revising procedures, support to implement segregation and chain of custody systems, and providing technical interpretations and advice.
Biomass: Working closely with NEPCon clients around the world to provide supply chain assessment activities, including supply chain risk assessment, supplier verification to company policies or third-party standards, or other services. Clients may include producers at source who wish assessment of operation against company policies or gap analysis against certification or other international standards (e.g. SBP). The main focus of the role will be to support the NEPCon Solutions team to carry out the defined supply chain and auditing verification services.
Palm Oil: Working closely with NEPCon clients around the world to provide supply chain assessment activities, including supply chain risk assessment, supplier verification, performance indicator development, training, or other services. Clients may include producers at source as well as brands who wish assessment of operation against company policies or gap analysis against certification or other international standards (e.g. RSPO, RA SAS, POIG). The role will also involve working with companies to implement solutions to problems, through capacity building, supply chain intervention program, technical review on standards or company policies and providing technical interpretations and advice.
Other commodities/ work areas as requested by the line manager.
Tasks and responsibilities
Assistance to clients and suppliers to meet the requirements of sustainability criteria. This may include:
- Conducting environmental and/or social Risk Assessments;
- Conducting Gap Analyses of company due diligence systems;
- Providing technical advisory for company to achieve specific objectives (i.e FSC reassociation, development of community forest);
- Reviewing company system and procedure to meet the requirement of the established standard;
- Reviewing company policies/commitments and facilitating stakeholder consultation;
- Conducting assessment on the implementation of sustainability program and established standards;
- Benchmarking of established standards and/or other sustainability requirements;
- Reviewing supply chain risk assessments and due diligence systems;
- Developing supply chain intervention program (i.e. self-assessment programs, supplier workshop, traceability verification).
- Developing manuals for best management practice
Desk and on-site audits of organizations against a checklist of criteria and indicators:
- Auditing against the established standards (FSC, LegalSource, SBP, RA SAS, POIG, RSPO, CanopyStyle) and bespoke requirements developed for/ with NEPCon clients;
- Conducting factory/mill and forest/farm audits;
- Review of companies’ internal auditing programmes.
Internal and External capacity building, including:
- Delivering legality and/or sustainability training sessions at client organizations;
- Internal training to NEPCon staff on legality and sustainability issues with the staff member’s area of expertise;
Internal Support & Administration
Providing technical assistance and interpretations to colleagues and clients and conducting administrative duties:
- Frequent reporting on the progress of client work to the line and account managers;
- Managing audit and project management schedules for a number of companies;
- Keeping data up to date in NEPCon’s Salesforce system.
Other tasks as requested by the line manager.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Forestry or Natural Resource Management or comparable degree
- Minimum seven years of work experience in the related field - with specific expertise in conservation areas, HCV, HCS and/or peatland in the past three years
- Biomass – experience in carbon calculation and have knowledge about tasks related to the preparation, implementation and/or consultation of wood biomass projects.
- Solid knowledge and/or working experience on national strategies/policy and international/bilateral agreements.
- Experience in auditing against established standards
- Familiar with using/operating GIS tools.
- Communication skill - excellent written and verbal communication in English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Having experience working with NGO, International work environment, and a wide range of stakeholders (private, government, etc.)
- Experience in working for USAID, UNDP and/or other UN agencies is an advantage.
As a Responsible Sourcing Specialist, you will need to find the balance between serving the clients and at the same time not compromising the independent role of an auditor. As a person, you must have a high level of integrity and business ethics combined with customer service skills. On top of that:
- You are comfortable travelling nationwide (and internationally) as part of your job role.
- You possess a high level of self-discipline, an ability to organise and manage yourself and your time, as well as making independent decisions, as the nature of the job requires you to work independently (often remotely from your colleagues) and meet deadlines
- You are a robust and structured person, who has demonstrated that you can balance multiple tasks and deliver high-quality work on time.
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You are comfortable communicating frequently with colleagues around the world via Skype and telephone.
- You believe in NEPCon’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- The position reports to the NSO Deputy Director of Asia Pacific.
- Working location: NEPCon’s Indonesia office in Jakarta or in Bali
- Salary commensurate with qualifications
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible.
- International training in certification services provided by NEPCon
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of NEPCon through the annual General Assembly
- Potential international travel opportunities.
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 23rd September 2019 via the form below.
NEPCon wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Fahmi Wahab, NEPCon Senior HR Specialist Asia Pacific, email: email@example.com