NEPCon’s activities and services in China are growing significantly. We are therefore seeking an experienced and enthusiastic professional to support the provision of our LegalSource and ResponsibleSource services in China. The role will include providing advisory services to a global portfolio of clients in the timber sector and beyond.
As part of NEPCon’s new China office you will have the opportunity to grow and learn as part of a new team. Yet you will be provided the knowledge and support of a much larger NEPCon family of 220+ colleagues around the world.
This position includes working under the following innovative work areas:
- Timber Legality: Working closely with NEPCon clients and suppliers in China to effectively schedule and implement risk assessment and mitigation activities, aimed at meeting the requirements of the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR). This role will include working closely with NEPCon staff and clients based in Europe to conduct robust due diligence on the risk of illegal timber harvest transport and trade. The main focus of the role will be to support the Responsible Sourcing team to conduct risk assessments and audit manufacturing facilities in China to assess the risk of illegal timber in supply chains. The role will also involve working closely with companies to implement solutions to problems, through training, providing support to help them implement segregation and chain of custody systems, implementing new procedures for collecting documentation and improving communication with their buyers in regulated markets.
- Responsible Sourcing: Assist the development and provision of NEPCon’s new ResponsibleSource service, aimed at supporting companies to mainstream sustainability into their business practices. The service will help companies create and implement sustainability policies; providing training and support for implementation; and map and assess risk in supply chains. As well as timber products, this service will focus on forest-impact commodities, such as oil palm, soy and beef.
The tasks in the position are stimulating and multi-faceted, including:
- Advisory: Assistance to clients and suppliers to meet the requirements of the EUTR, buyers’ policies and/or the NEPCon LegalSource standard. This may include:
- Liaising with companies to map supply chains and collect evidence.
- Translating and evaluating supply chain documents.
- Conducting EUTR Risk Assessments.
- Reviewing supply chain risk assessments and due diligence systems.
- Conducting Gap Analyses of company due diligence systems.
- Arranging timber testing for origin and species identification.
- Research and creation of news updates on policy and legislation changes in China.
- Auditing against the NEPCon LegalSource standard and bespoke legality standards developed for/with NEPCon clients.
- Conducting factory and forest audits across China.
- Review of companies’ internal auditing programmes.
- Training: Internal and external capacity building.
- Delivering legality and sustainability training sessions at client organisations.
- Delivering NEPCon’s 3-day Expert Training courses for LegalSource, FSC®, PEFC, etc.
- Training on chain of custody and traceability in manufacturing facilities.
- Sales: Support NEPCon’s sales efforts.
- Providing technical sales support to Country Managers and the Business Development Department (BDD) for specific leads as well as for long-term business planning.
- Attending sales meetings with potential clients.
- Attending sales and marketing events, international stakeholder events and industry events in your country of residence and abroad.
- Internal support & administration:
- Providing technical assistance on timber legality, sustainability and certification queries from NEPCon staff in Europe and around the world.
- Internal training to NEPCon staff on legality issues in China.
- Frequent reporting on progress of risk assessments.
- Managing audit and risk assessment schedules for a large number of companies.
- Keeping data up to date in NEPCon’s Salesforce system.
- Other tasks as requested by the line manager.
- You hold a university degree (BSc or preferably MSc) in the field of forestry, biology, geography, environmental management, law, international development, international policy, or related field.
- It is essential that you have at least 3 years of work experience in the timber processing/trading sector, certification sector or related field.
- You are a native speaker of Chinese and fluent in English (our organisational language), and have very good verbal and written communication skills in both.
- You have detailed knowledge of, or experience working in, the timber processing industry, wood trade, forest management, nature protection, wood biomass industry, or similar area.
- You have detailed knowledge of Chinese forestry legislation and policy context, as well as associated laws around transport and trade of timber products.
- You have detailed knowledge of, or experience working with, Chain of Custody systems and traceability systems for wood products.
- You have understanding of risk-based approaches to legality and sustainability assessments.
- You are a proficient user of the MS Office package and have a good understanding of administrative IT systems.
Any of the below would be an additional asset, but is not a requirement:
- Awareness of issues surrounding timber legality, High Conservation Values (HCVs) or traditional and civil rights in the forest sector.
- Experience implementing/ auditing EU Timber Regulation due diligence systems, legality verification systems, SBP Certification and/or FSC Controlled Wood. For example, as a 3rd party auditor or internal auditor.
- Experience working within a timber company (e.g. sawmill, paper/panel mill, furniture factory, etc) or other relevant industry.
- Experience working as a forest engineer, implementing sustainable forestry practices in the field for a forest management company.
- Experience working within an international NGO or as an environmental lawyer, focusing on environmental and social issues (illegal logging, customary rights, land tenure, HCVs).
- Experience working within an environmental consultancy role, providing training and support services to professional companies on responsible sourcing or as an in-house Sustainability Manager for a end-user/ retail company sourcing timber products.
- Experience using Salesforce CRM software.
- Strong numeracy is an asset: you have competence and understanding of numerical data, statistical calculations and volume data.
As a Responsible Sourcing Specialist, you will need to find the balance between serving the clients and at the same time not compromising the independent role of an auditor. As a person, you must have a high level of integrity and business ethics combined with customer service skills. On top of that:
- You are comfortable travelling nationwide (and internationally) as part of your job role.
- You possess a high level of self-discipline, an ability to organise and manage yourself and your time, as well as making independent decisions, as the nature of the job requires you to work independently (often remotely from your colleagues) and meet deadlines
- You have an analytical approach, so you are able to identify non-conformity with certification standards.
- You are an open and friendly person, who likes – and is good at – communicating with people on all levels.
- You are a robust and structured person, who has demonstrated that you can balance multiple tasks and deliver high quality work on time.
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You are comfortable communicating frequently with colleagues around the world via Skype and telephone.
- You believe in NEPCon’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 40 hours/week
- The position refers to our NEPCon East Asia Regional Manager (based in Beijing)
- Working location: NEPCon’s Beijing office or home-based
- Salary commensurate with qualifications
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
- International training in certification services provided by NEPCon
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of NEPCon through the annual General Assembly
- Potential international travel opportunities.
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 21 February 2019 via the application form below.
NEPCon wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Kristin Stevani Wowor